skills

Information about thief class

skills

Postby iain » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:40 pm

gouge - no mana blind, replaces one attack

taunt - kind of like that bard song that brings mobs in from the next room, if it is done in the same room, have it be an opened that decreases the mobs tohit for 2-3 rounds till the mob can recompose itself, doubt that aspect of it would be used much but who knows

dual wield - wield 2 piercing weapons in exchange for not wearing a shield, would give thief 4 melee attacks, 2 per item wielded, could also have a small percentage chance of hitting with both blades on a circle stab

disarm - knock that bolt out of zeus's hand, when he is not in combat, so that you can steal it and sell it

poison resistance - due to their masery of poisons, they have built up a natural immuinty to most poisons and at least have improved savings spells here, if not an outright immunity

deflect - very limited instance of parry that is sort of like the mage spell shield thingy, when on it will occasionally let the thief use his natural dexterity to redirect a blow aimed at him, but it will have a chance of hitting someone in his group.
iain

Postby Weasel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:48 pm

lol yeah, and why not give thiefs all the same properties of an immort while we're at it?
It's allegedly the top solo class already, chill out.
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

quiet rodent boy!

Postby iain » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:19 pm

This is one of those instances where playing something other than 2 wa/mc/cl/th characters would come in handy. Thieves are woefully skill deficient. If you are a non prime thief, without poison or circle, and with a diminished stab, it is ever more absurd. Compare thief to monk. Monk gets 25 skills, including purity, compated to 19 for thief. Not to mention that 7 of the thief skills are level 1. I won't even bother comparing the quality of the skills but suffice it to say that monk > thief.
iain

Postby Weasel » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:22 pm

hey I'm a WA prime, I don't know the meaning of the word skill :)
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

non-prime thieves

Postby Vixn » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:37 am

Futher to recent discussion. It's just some basis ideas:

bribe - allow to bribe mob and allow you to 1. pass blockers or 2. get item from mob's inventory (some mobs won't to sell their stuff). If sum of gold is not enough, mob will attack.

flair/find doors - allows you to notice secret exits from a room and highlight objects wich could be use to transfer into other rooms (ie staircases, walls, totem, tombstone, windows etc). [thief's version of perception but automatically use since learned]

detect traps - it will give thief ability to run very warely. traps will fail to function and.. i can't remember any trap in sloth but it could be added it new areas. :)

listen - improved scan for short range [same or similar to druid form's smell, not only for straight view]

draw - automatically replacing the current weapon and wielding new weapon without any time penalty.

dirty kick - throw sand/dust to the enemy blinding him for very short period of time (1-2 rounds). when blinded by dirt enemy will recieve small penalties for save_spell and to_hit.

jump/rush - allow to run through the single room. even very fast aggro mob will have very small chance to catch thief in this moment. doesn't work in water-filled rooms.

I think any of this skill won't give thieves overpower but will make thief class more useful into non-prime position.

thanks

:roll:
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Zam » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:21 am

if ya dont like non-prime thief - start a new character without thief in classo , or thief prime. stop complaining , all your ideas are simply newbiesh.
Zam
40 Prime Poster

Postby 12345 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:59 am

Weasel:
I think the intent is to power up the non-primes. Partly to make old classos more balanced with new classos.

Zam:
Not every suggestion is great, but they're suggestions. Someone might like one of them.

Most of the more common thief ideas are already listed here. Only other idea I had was:

Bluff - Shout (yell) for non-existant reinforcements in battle. Can only be done once per battle. Works a little like turn undead for regular mobs in that it has a chance to cause the mob to flee, a chance to distract the mob (lower damage roll), and a chance to do nothing at all. Targets every mob in the room, though those not fighting will be unaffected and immune to any future bluffs by that player.

:)
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Shadis » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:36 pm

actually taunt, dirty kick and poison resistance makes a lot of sense for thieves
*All opinions posted here are entirely mine and thus are worth less then the 1's and 0's they are typed with!*
Shadis
40 Prime Poster

Postby 12345 » Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:02 pm

The listen skill is pretty good too. If I remember, it's pretty close to the detect noise skill in D&D without the penalty for using it while wearing a helmet.

It'd be nice to see something more combat oriented though. Thieves have lots of skills that could translate to the game. Tumbling for example, or in another arena.. fighting dirty. ie. Groin kick, assuming the mob has only 2 legs and is mostly human, knock the wind out of him for a couple rounds. Probably wouldn't do good things for your honor/alignment though :twisted:
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

help backtrack

Postby brand » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 am

this limited form of shadowwalk would allow a thief to make a mark in an area and then shadow back to that mark so long as they are in the same area.
brand
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Thief