damnation

Information about the necro class

damnation

Postby doug » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 am

Rizzen had a great idea I think. Necromancers should get the damnation spell before avatar. They could get it at level 40 or perhaps even just as a prime spell. I understand that necros prime are a powerful classo with juju and all but this really makes sense and outside of infuse and weaken, necros in groups generally sit on a fair amount of mana if it is their prime caster class. Anyhow, just a thought.
doug

Postby Ender » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:03 am

Honestly, this idea fits necro persona. Only problem you might have is that it doesn't just make them more powerful in a group, and they're already formidable solos.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

somewhat

Postby doug » Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I suspect most people lead with something other than damn/curse when soloing tho. Stabs or deathgrip or shift or whatever straight on casters do.
doug

Postby blackmore » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:48 pm

Blackmore stabs with +18 damage, and with any large mob, he can solo much more easily and much more safely with images up, leading w/damn, using a high damage non stabber. It's much more likely he'll get an acid blind in, and he gets hit less often with the mob damned anyways. I know mages with images are an exception, but leading w/damn, unless you're doing quick kill xp runs, is more useful than you might realize.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Solo Power

Postby Avatar » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:54 pm

The juju, along with the reduced lag for ordering followers, must make a big difference in the solo ability of necro primes. As a necro secondary, I don't feel very powerful.

Of course, I've always said that it's the combinations that make characters powerful. A wa/ne or a mo/ne would probably be nice for soloing.

All that being said, I didn't make a cl/ne for the solo power, he's a group character. Unfortunately the only necro spells I use during groups are weaken and occasionally spectral shield.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Ender » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:00 am

As a thief/war, I get to fight both the splorkable and chop style mobs. AC has limited value fighting splork mobs and so damn would do almost nothing to help. Most chop mobs have AC thresholds. Basically I track them in terms of what AC they can't hit. For instance, I may know that if I fight a mob with -7 and blind, I will get beaten, but if I can reach -8 with blind, I can turn the tables on it. That makes his threshold -13 (-1 for curse). Lower thresholds generally equate to more xp.

Another factor about curse. It effectively lowers to the AC of everyone in the group with one spell. So, in effect, damning could significantly increase the lifespan of your undead hordes, depending on the mob you're fighting of course).

Lastly, yes, necro primes are more powerful. The juju is a nice buddy to have. Biggest downside I've seen to them is that they sometimes get killed by other group members who don't want them to get the kills.
Ender
40 Prime Poster

wa/ne

Postby doug » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:11 am

Could just be that I suck, but this isnt a great solo char. :) Caster primes are much more effective solos in my opinion.

I admit that damnation on necros would be powerful and I would hate to see it prime only, but it would definitely promote not needing a tard in every group. Could also make a form of lesser damnation for necros so that it would have the same of similar effects but not hit as often similar to weaken. This would preclude it from being used soloing but would still be a very useful skill/spell for grouping. Right now there difference between a group with a tard who can cast damnation and without one is significant. There are also a surplus of necros who squat on mana. Stare nagash.

Anyhow I think it would be a cool spell.

Some form of gate or passage or single continent relocate would be quite cool as well.
doug

Postby Ender » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:42 am

That would actually be a good compromise I think. A spell with the same effect as damn, but being more like blind in terms of getting it to work. Depending on the mob you're fighting though, waiting for it to catch could be deadly.

Would be funny to watch though, depending on the mob's saves. :twisted:
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Postby Leizu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:12 am

I like Doug's point - necros have too much mana, let them use avatar spells :D
Leizu

Return to Necromancer