Banshees - what are banshees good for

Information about the necro class

Banshees - what are banshees good for

Postby broeggle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi,

I recently got 3x40 and was really happy that I could create something bigger than wraiths, so I casted 'summon undead' banshee - and was really diasappointed.

I could only create one banshee, how doesn't hit hard / misses most of the time and only mutters a song, which doesn't affect me nor the target.

-->Can someone explain what they are good for?

Thanks,
broeggle

Postby 13 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Animates >>>>> Summons

the rule on followers is sanc/stone/bless/orange potion them
you should be able to make 2 wraiths now.

it gets a lot better bu8ddy, have patience.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby broeggle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 pm

?
I know that animates are far better than summons -- If I would have an unlimited source of lichable or better corpses I would use them,

and usually I run with 3 wraiths, stoned and oranged, perhaps with unholy aura (don't have the mana to sanc them)

but that wasn't my question :)

I want to know what banshees do - what they offer to me, as I get them at higher level, they cost more, I can create only one of them - but with no visible effect to me .

broeggle
broeggle

Postby Atwell » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Banshees have always been a tough sell before av-11, when the control horde skill allows you to get two of them. They used to have perm wraithform, making them superior to wraiths for some targets. That is no longer the case, and there is little reason to use banshees these days.

Banshees do have a proc that looks equivalent to casting crimson scourge on the mob. Like players, they usually need several attempts to land this debuff.

As a side note, if your pets miss a lot and you're not using unholy aura, start doing so.
Atwell
40 Prime Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:59 pm

What if banshees had some other interesting procs. Like maybe +2 to spellsaves (penalty) against human and humanoid mobs. Other ideas I had were a fear affect of some sort, or a similar affect to sanc for the soul, or an affect like fare thee well. I'm sure theres a way banshees could be made useful again.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Postby Medios » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Well for one the damn things wail and won't allow you to re enter a room once you left. Say you are fighting a mob and decide to flee. The banshees in the room will prevent you from walking in. I don't know if this affects mobs but it really screws up using them for eq mobs. One time I had a small group using pets and someone brought one of those. I fled to recast and couldn't get back in the room.

In short. I wouldn't waste your mana or time ever using them.
Fight the Good Fight!

~[DoW]~
Medios

Postby Medios » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:30 pm

[quote="juggleblood":2d2b2ywc]What if banshees had some other interesting procs. Like maybe +2 to spellsaves (penalty) against human and humanoid mobs. Other ideas I had were a fear affect of some sort, or a similar affect to sanc for the soul, or an affect like fare thee well. I'm sure theres a way banshees could be made useful again.[/quote:2d2b2ywc]

For starters, more than 300hp and being able to hit a mob would help.
Fight the Good Fight!

~[DoW]~
Medios

Banshees

Postby Avatar » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:13 pm

A quick fix: give them -11 ac and set the message when the armor blocks a hit = The attack blows right through the banshee with no effect!

That would give them a 15% "ethereal" without the wraithform.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Weasel » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:40 am

Necros need to grow a pair and fight their own fights and leave the poor banshees out of it! It's really not very classy using human shields.. or bansheee shields as the case may be.
:twisted:
Weasel

Postby alias » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 pm

I don't stand behind my summons I let them hit after I attack. Banshees were severely nerfed and are about useless as they get. This isn't about Necros needing to grow a pair, cause sir Ill stand toe to toe w/ you any day no pets. Its about the fact that there is no good summons between wraiths and swordwraiths when there used to be.
alias
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 pm

well the real question is not how do they suck but rather what do they need to be?

well based on wut peeps already said:
I was thinking 350 hp with 15 percent damage reduction to simulate wraith(this msg would require a coder, it'd be fine w/o it)
but they can only get -10 ac
and they get a wail proc that makes human/oid species get a 1 penalty to spellsaves.

just a suggestion
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Postby alias » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 pm

iirc they were not wraith but eth. I never got to play w/ them personally but I saw them used.
alias
Triple 40 Poster

Postby alias » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:39 pm

and why would I want 15 percent reduction to dam on them at 350 + 15%= 402.5 at 2 attacks per pet. I can easily summon 3 wraiths each w/ 500 hp that get 3 attacks per round and they are 3x40 required not 4x40+25 which is what I think they were the last time I logged in.

my point is don't try to placate us w/ something that isn't at least better than what wraiths are or we still won't use them and what you have done will be in vain.
alias
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:12 pm

so how should banshees compare to wraiths?

thicker (more ethereal) and less damage
or thinner and more damage?

also what if the proc was a 2 penalty on mob spellsave? wouldn't that alone make them pretty useful?

I've never had a necro and I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Postby *juggleblood* » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:51 pm

also i was looking at the existing banshee proc...looks kinda useful if it was tweaked to not affect members of the master's group.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Next

Return to Necromancer