Why Don’t Followers Assist?

Information about the necro class

Postby SirRobin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:57 am

Jorgen normally runs around with 3 pets in tow; a lares, a spectre, and a ghoul. When cruising the streets of Newbatia, things seem to work fine most of the time. He typically attacks thugs by blinding, striking, then ordering followers to assist him (Order Followers Assist Jorgen). After the first round of combat normally all 3 join in. Occasionally 2, or maybe even 1, will join in after the first round and he’ll have to issue the order again. Very infrequently he may have to issue the order 3 times.

This is not what I’ve been experiencing in the gang’s hideout, especially on the trail leading there. The majority of the time I’m seeing only 1 pet join in, no matter how many times I issue the order. I’ve even tried issuing the order for each missing pet by name (Order Ghoul Assist Jorgen). This last time the spectre was the only one to help for most battles; I don’t recall if it was the same pet on the previous times I’ve tried this area.

1) Do your pets decide to follow orders based on the area?

2) Does lighting or the mob hiding have anything to do with it? I normally have both Darksight and Detect Invisibility on, so maybe I’m seeing the hiding thugs that 2 of the pets can’t see, although you would think they’d spot them when I’m punching them.

3) Is there anything I can do to improve my pets response to orders?

Thanks.
SirRobin
40 Prime Poster

Postby Taki » Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:02 am

I don't have any experience with necros, but the same thing seems to happen with cleric's supplicants: in one or two rooms of the Gang Hideout, they fail to respond to the issued order (assist) and several time the fight ends without their support...

The hideout is particular. Tells are not possible, sounds are muffled, and at least in one room spells are flawed - these are not bugs but features, since the messages justify what is happening, but i am not sure about the followers' abnormal behaviour... maybe that one should be revisited.

T.
Patience and powerful strikes!
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Postby 13 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:01 am

I think you answered your own question Robin. It's obviously the
Hideout.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Medios » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:48 pm

I have found that some supplicants/followers dont assist due to dark rooms or something. I sometimes cast infravision to help my eudaemon see me and heal me. *shrug* Try infra it might help. Post back with any update.

Mike
Medios

Postby Vixn » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:26 pm

I've found my eudaemon can't report stats while being underwater (and w/o water breathing). Though it heal me anyway as i can remember.
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

followers

Postby Ditheca » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:20 pm

low level animate dead's do not have darksight/infravision

summons and high level animates do.

It's good to experiment and understand the limitations of, say, your pet ghoul. Your spectre has less hit points but has a few occasionally useful abilities like darksight.
Ditheca
40 Prime Poster

Postby Aleksey » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:53 am

dont see you, for tham on assist comand no mater who is target and what with target (hiden,invised,dark or whatever), main its you

look command also helps
if you see something like that on look
lich (drowning) here its 100% that follower will not assist, will follow you all the way like blind kiten thats all.

3) Is there anything I can do to improve my pets response to orders?

Necro prime- 1 round order lag only.
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Postby Gnu » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:38 pm

...and this is a place where undead control points can be used. I don't know if a chance of succesful assisting depands on undead control eq, but it would make sence if it does.

Another idea is to let CHARISMA points affect player's chance to charm mob. Or may be give us a song which increases this chance.
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Postby SirRobin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:16 pm

From what’s been said here and what I’ve experienced, I’m thinking it has something to do with light and/or sound, but my experiments in this area have been inconsistent, so I really have nothing definitive to report. This area does have some peculiar qualities though. The “Tell” command didn’t work for me the one time I tried it there; the response said something about the sound being absorbed if I recall correctly. Recall doesn’t work either, at least it didn’t the two times I tried it. This is probably a better area for group hunting rather than soloing with pets.

By the way, the following thing happened to me in there:

“As the grandmaster thug touches you, he gives you a sudden desire to horde gold.”

I wonder if this is supposed to be the Gold Fever disease? He also howls a lot in frustration. Two nice little extras to add to the atmosphere there.
SirRobin
40 Prime Poster

Postby 12345 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:35 pm

The master in general is a pain. He's inpressively more powerful than anything else in the area, and the room he's in makes him difficult to fight.

The message you saw was indeed gold fever. Not too dreadful, but makes it tough to split or give coins.

He summons help, and he's in a room that makes tells, grouptells, etc. impossible. It also make using scrolls impossible. Didn't try ordering followers, but it wouldn't surprize me if that's impossible too.

As though that's not enough, it's also a wild magic room. So, if you cast anything, you can be fairly uncertain what you'll actually get. Casted several cures while in there, half didn't work, some were weaked... one got boosted to a greater heal. Offensive spells were equally wacky. All in all, not a good place to cast.

Personal recommendation, bring a lot of really good potions with you.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Return to Necromancer