Necro Classes

Information about the necro class

Necro Classes

Postby nomis » Mon May 24, 2004 10:26 pm

When the new classes started, I was very interested to know that there is a necro class, hence started Nomis. However, after playing some time (approaching 26 days Mudding time), its obvious that necros suck as a prime level, and especially without cleric or druid classes.

Among some of the weaknesses are:
Wraithform is useless against big mobs, energy drain sucks for lowbies without cleric and druid class, infuse soul potions last for a short time only, like an hour or so, and they don't heal that much.

Sigh, can I trade my quad for a cleric or druid? :? :oops:

Anyway, the Juju stuff and Death Pact (use to be cheat death, which i preferred) is cool, but I still can't solo stuffs like the other classes :cry:

Well, hope to get that 3X40 soon. See ya all and happy mudding
nomis

Necros

Postby Avatar » Tue May 25, 2004 9:53 am

What are your other classes? The choice of 2nd and 3rd can dramatically affect soloing. Especially with HPs and how easy / hard it is to get AC.

I questioned the infuse soul also, it's a cool idea and gives the class (if you don't have cleric) some much needed healing. The limitations are pretty restrictive though: your alignment, time limit on the potion, the fact that you only get 1 per kill, the size of the mob affects the quality, it uses the corpse. It's fun and quite complex, I like it. Unfortunately the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I'd ask to look at the mob levels vs. quality of the heal. Unless you can kill the largest mobs consistently you get weak potions, and fighting the largest mobs you'll need more than one of these potions to survive. After that, I'd ask them to increase the duration of the potion quite a bit ... or give us some spell along the lines of preserve food / embalm so we can enchant the potion.

Charles
Triple 40 Poster

Necro class

Postby *Splork* » Tue May 25, 2004 1:06 pm

**I will adjust the time limit on the potions tonight and see if we can find a happy medium.

**I will also look at the levels required for each potion, but I wont promise anything here. Since I play a necromancer also, I have found some pretty nice ways of using the potions in combinations with other spells or skills so I am not sure we need to adjust the level. But maybe...

**The Necromancer is definately the most unique class we have to offer. The combination of their JuJu Zombie, Death Pact, Infuse Soul, Spectral Shield, Embalm, Wraithform, and Destruction make for a pretty nice solo class if used properly. However, as Avatar has said, the choices of your other classes are just as important. A classo without any healing powers is going to be a very challenging classo. On a side note, Blaster and I have been discussing a way for Necro primes to be able to Iconify their juju before renting and have it there for creation upon logging on. This way, the Necromancer would only need to perform the Ritual of Ressurection upon the JuJu's death, not everytime they log in which should help quite a bit. However, very few things come for free. So it may come in form of a new quest spell or elite item... who really knows the possibilities are endless:)

Stay tuned,

Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Kambal » Tue May 25, 2004 2:11 pm

Nomis, I'd like to ask what ac you have? Wonder, have you noticed ac-wraithform relation? Guess it shouldn' t be so, but you never know. :roll:
Kambal

AC

Postby Avatar » Tue May 25, 2004 3:46 pm

I've had pretty good luck with wraithform at -2 AC, so I'm not really convinced there is a correlation. The only downfall there is the duration, but my little caster isn't at the level yet where he can take the intense fast hard hitting mobs - which would be ideal for wraithform.
Triple 40 Poster

Postby nomis » Fri May 28, 2004 5:20 am

I've been running at -6 and -7, dont see any difference. This would be another thing to look at to improve the necro class abit.

Thanks imms for looking at the downsides. I think the bit with the Juju will be excellant.

It is true that the most challengin part is to play the combo of spells for necro without a healo class, but it just gets frustrating sometimes. Basically, I'd run mobs without healing then go back to town to suck some bloods. What Avatar said is very correct that if I hit mobs that gives me master infusion, I'll prolly loose more HP.

Also, I hope that the spell cost for wraithform can be looked into, like the heal cost for clerics.

Thanks all.
8)
nomis

complications

Postby Paradave » Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:13 am

I have only been here a few days, and don't have my necro up high yet, but this is a very similar spell/heal/soul trap setup as I used to play with on 3Kingdoms in the early 90's and it was a lot of fun then simply because it was so complex and required some real thought and timing, and 3K didn't have additional classes to be, you were a Necro and that's it.

I don't mean to sound rude about it, but I see this on every forum I read these days it seems, so many people want everything made so very easy and programable. Necros are fun because they aren't like that, and the bonuses have minuses. If that isn't what you want in a class, don't play a necro, it doesn't seem complicated to me.
Paradave

Re: AC

Postby Gnu » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:51 am

[quote="Avatar":2i42gg3d]I've had pretty good luck with wraithform at -2 AC, so I'm not really convinced there is a correlation. The only downfall there is the duration, but my little caster isn't at the level yet where he can take the intense fast hard hitting mobs - which would be ideal for wraithform.[/quote:2i42gg3d]

It looks like theluck with wraithform depends on some parameters, such as
1. Mob's level
2. Your AC
3. Mob's to-hit

I may be wrong, but that's what I have seen when used that spell...
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Postby Aleksey » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:48 am

Whan newb was small about 1x40 tested wraithform work with ac combo in Rlieh castle on spectral-guards and gugs(was 32 level mobs that time)
at 0 ac it stops working but positive ac wraithform yet working at kobolds.(level 2-6)

And Nomis high level mobs not exactly hard,fat,scary one, plenty of tham in game which dies in one round of fight (best infuse soul from 41 level mobs), if after killing mob id corpse, will see his value its mob level
Plus whan your juju eats corpse it creates randomly realy long lasting infuse soul. My necro newb till 3x40 havent used mana on healing self at all was enough souls from juju. And yes without cleric in classo its not necro prime, its something prime(need spend a lot time befor kill on making souls, after kill again do same work) or perma follow groups, druid heal helps but not that much as restore, plus at tard level restore becomes bigger and bigger with levels.
Til 3x40 not soloed equip ,was pointless actualy, juju nat ac was too low to kill something serious( i mean hard hitting ,fat ,group oriented mobs) so -8 ac was more than enough(doable by any combo with min dex 12 or maybe below) , from 3x40 started test newb on equip poping group oriented mobs , -9 ac was enough. And again reason, juju nat ac (if juju dead in fight you not figter, war is over)
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Return to Necromancer