Can shifted forms strike?

Information about the druid class

Can shifted forms strike?

Postby Zeizel » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:27 pm

I noticed that even before I reached Monk lvl 8, I was able to 'strike' while in shifted form. I never hit, but I didn't get the "Maybe you should practice that skill first" message that I get from kick.

Now that I have strike from my Monk levels, I still can't land a single hit while shifted. It made sense that I couldn't hit before I learned it naturally, as strike seems dependant on a Monk's knowledge of the 'ideal' place to land a hit.

Along those lines, though, it makes sense that once a Druid has learned the skill from training as a Monk, he'd be able to draw upon that knowledge to land powerful hits while shifted.

What I'd really like is to know if I'm just wasting my time typing strike every round while I'm shifted.

Thanks! :-D
Zeizel

Postby 12345 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 pm

[quote="Sloth Help - Equanimity":3pancivx]See also: SHAPESHIFT, BATTLE SHIFT
Level: Druid 15
Spellbook: the script of transmutative talents

When a druid assumes an animal form, her own animal nature becomes much more pronounced. This makes it hard for her to perform fancy tactical maneuvers like disengaging from combat or protecting somebody, even if she is quite capable of doing so in human form. However, advanced druids can learn to keep their presence of mind when an animal through the meditative techniques of the Equanimity skill.

A successful Equanimity check lets a shapeshifted druid use the skills protect, disengage, rescue, and retreat as well as she could use them in her human form.[/quote:3pancivx]

So, to answer your question, when you're shifted, you'll have problems using any skills that you know in your human form. Equanimity will allow you to use Protect, Disengage, Rescue and Retreat... but there's no mention of Strike. Therefore, you are probably wasting your time.

Postby Altair » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:18 am

Is this when you try to protect them, or that you already have them protected and get some kind of fali message?
Altair

Postby Zeizel » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:13 am

[quote="12345":1gifzfem]
So, to answer your question, when you're shifted, you'll have problems using any skills that you know in your human form. Equanimity will allow you to use Protect, Disengage, Rescue and Retreat... but there's no mention of Strike. Therefore, you are probably wasting your time.[/quote:1gifzfem]

I had thought that perhaps strike was an 'inate' animal skill. As I mentioned, I could *attempt* to strike in animal form before I could strike in human form.

I had talked to someone in-game, and he said that one of the advantages of my classo was that having Monk would improve my shifted-strike percentage. Maybe he was mistaken (although he was SDr himself)?

Thanks for the input!
Zeizel

Postby Leaf » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:13 am

[quote="Altair":lwfybu6l]Is this when you try to protect them, or that you already have them protected and get some kind of fali message?[/quote:lwfybu6l]

I have gotten a failed message when already protecting as human and then
shifting.
Leaf

Postby Alexdmage » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:05 pm

Equanimity starts to work only on avatar levels (at least Leizu said that his protect works on non-mythical forms) And about strike - you can even order lich strike in battle and he will attempt it, but with the same result - he will 100% miss.
Alexdmage

Postby Zeizel » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:18 pm

Okay, so the strike command is not checked to see if it's available to you? It seems kind of silly to have one command not checked when the rest are, but it's good to know :-D
Zeizel

Return to Druid