100%
No
No votes
Hmm?
No votes

Total votes : 8

some observations

Postby Selane » Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:55 am

Natures revival - what's the purpose in casting this spell instead of say a cure critic? The hitpoint regeneration gain doesn't seem to be worth the mana loss.

Canopied arbor - in a gatable room magic rope is by far a safer alternative, albeit a little tougher to enforce in a large group of people. Only possible use is having a bunch of these in a row to produce a sort of "safe run", but this seems a bit excessive.

It'd be nice if druids had at least one blasting spell that wasn't overly expensive and didn't have the possibility to pick up other creatures in the room.

The druid forms are pretty unusable. It's easier for me to solo using flame strike than to try and shift.

And don't even get me started on dawnfire.
Selane

Re: some observations

Postby Kambal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:49 am

[quote="Selane":m9i91u1l]
It'd be nice if druids had at least one blasting spell that wasn't overly expensive and didn't have the possibility to pick up other creatures in the room.

The druid forms are pretty unusable. It's easier for me to solo using flame strike than to try and shift.
[/quote:m9i91u1l]
Kambal

Postby Kambal » Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:52 am

forgot to type what i wanted :P

You should have been MAGE then, why? See below ...
If you want regen, choose ma/dr :)
Just my .02$
Kambal

Postby Alberich » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:28 am

different styles of play for different classes...

druids are not a blasting class, never where, probably never will be - that is why we have mages.

if you think the shifted forms are not good, you either do not have very many levels, or have made no effort whatsoever to learn to use them.
I have seen a small (2x40ish) druid solo mobs I would not even attempt to kill at lvl 15 avatar.

druids, from what I have seen (and I do not own a primary druid, and my one char with druid in class is still on valk, so not claiming to be any great expert) is a class that is all about smarts - using your head, and finding creative ways to do truly unholy things to mobs, using all the skills/forms at your disposal. You have battle shift, rapid shift, equanimity, truly ungodly regen, and a number of other huge benefits - if you try to play like a traditional caster class, you are not going to be able to benefit from most of that.

Personally, I think that, properly played, druids are one of (if not the) most powerful classes in the game, right now - it just requires a bit more effort and thought than playing, say, a mage :)
Alberich

Classes....

Postby Ender » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:47 am

Few notes:

1) Size is very subjective in this game. One person is talking about a 2x40 druid as small, the other is trying to get to 1x40.

2) I'll say the same thing as I did for necro... 'like'-spells should NOT be identical to the original. If other classes have better versions of the same spells, it's probably because you're stronger than they are in other areas.

3) Magic room and blasting may be better... live with it. Druid is a subclass of CLERIC, not mage. If you wanted to blast, mage is your obvious choice here.

4) I think mage is a tough class to keep out of the classo, simply because they seem to rather powerful... Even quad casters are incredibly powerful, walking around with far more AC than I would consider justifiable.

5) Every classo has a different play-style. Every player has a different play-style. Some people like a challenge, some can't hack it. There are shadow characters... consider how difficult they are to play. You only make about 1/2 as much xp in a group as you would normally, and a vast number of abilities are unavailable. I've even seen a rare few that are leveling a SINGLE CLASS. These are self imposed challenges above those inflicted by the game. If you don't want a challenge, or if you just want to play what you know... stick with what you know. Don't complain that a mage is a better mage than your druid, or that a cleric is a better cleric than your druid. Play a mage/cleric.

6) I play a thief/warrior. I like to explore and I die a lot. This suits me.

Have a nice day :D
Ender
40 Prime Poster

Re: some observations

Postby nexus » Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:19 am

[quote="Selane":nvm3odl0]Natures revival - what's the purpose in casting this spell instead of say a cure critic? The hitpoint regeneration gain doesn't seem to be worth the mana loss.

The druid forms are pretty unusable. It's easier for me to solo using flame strike than to try and shift.[/quote:nvm3odl0]

Hmm. Natures revival is of great use. It raises hp regen much and also gives manaregen which is quite important for druid. As well as for casters in common.

And the forms.... I play druid prime. I use forms. It's my playstyle - shifted, no eq, no million tokens on rolling good stats....
Forms give me all i need - ac, stats, abilities.
You have to know them. You have to ... live them.

That is roleplay..... why try to make an elephant from a fly? Try make a dragonfly ;)
The road to success is hard
and only the best survive...
nexus

Postby Vixn » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:39 am

Nexus, really, you are too late :)
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Return to Druid