So you want to be a druid.

Information about the druid class

So you want to be a druid.

Postby marge » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Druid is an interesting prime class to play. At low levels your shift forms are pretty poor fighters and you will find yourself largely a support char, depending on the rest of your class order. Druid prime shifting is superior to non prime shifting and the shield of thorns spell at high levels helps with shifted combat greatly. Druids are able to solo very large mobs by harnessing the power of the vast mana regen. They shift into a combat form and fight until their hit points get low. Then they exit from combat, return to human form to heal themselves up and then shift again. It's a nice class in that you are able to operate solo through the power of your shifted forms, but you are welcomed into groups because of your good mana regen.

Supplementing druid class:

Cleric isn't absolutely necessary for druid prime, but it still helps greatly. The cleric spell aegis and supplication pets are very helpful.

Mage is a popular addition to druid as you will want to be able to harness your high mana into blasting in a group.

Warrior is not hugely popular for druid primes, because they depend largely on their shift forms when soloing, and act as supplemental casters in groups. However warrior is still a good addition if you're interested in balancing out your character to be able to fight melee unshifted for running smaller mobs and coins, etc.

Monk is nice for balancing out a caster prime because it adds toughness and gives an initial attack.

Thief is also not widely chosen by druid primes, but again it helps to balance out the melee capabilities of the character.

Necromancer is a popular choice because of helpful spells like wraithform and spectral shield. In my opinion druid prime isn't really cut out for using large necropets. If you you're taking necro to fight with pets, perhaps add warrior or monk to the class order as well. Necros are drawn into combat by their pets.

Bard is a very nice supplement to druid. Bard songs are very useful to a group. Bard is a non caster class and has more hp, better armor, and can protect. Also very important is that Bard can glance into mob inventories.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby marge » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:22 pm

Forgot to mention that you can't order your pets to do anything while you're shifted. Important thing to know when choosing classo.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby jezer » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm

[quote="marge":digmmehq]Forgot to mention that you can't order your [b:digmmehq]Necro Pets[/b:digmmehq] only your [b:digmmehq]Druid pets[/b:digmmehq] to do anything while you're shifted. Important thing to know when choosing classo.[/quote:digmmehq]
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Vixn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Excuse me, first of all, I do really understand you write it for newcomers. And sure these posts are great.
But I doubt bard has better AC then druid. At least my ba/dr has [b:14apf1ky]-10[/b:14apf1ky]ac singing and [b:14apf1ky]-11[/b:14apf1ky]ac being shifted (will be -12ac at 5x40). Also you forgot to mention that druid can't sing being shifted (you stop sing when you type shapeshift). So I doubt that 'bard is a [b:14apf1ky]very nice [/b:14apf1ky]supplement to druid'.

IMO

Vixn
Vixn
Triple 40 Poster

Postby marge » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:06 pm

vixn's right, I was just thinking about how druids often find themselves as supporting characters in groups and bard is so helpful in that regard. But if one wants to balance out the character to fight unshifted one should add warrior or monk. I was also thinking about how useful it is to have glance.

Also, there's a skill called equanimity that is sposed to let you use some of your skills shifted, but I have no idea which ones those are.

I've actually never played druid prime, just throwin up some info for noobs trying to choose a class order.
marge
40 Prime Poster

Postby Rynquald » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:18 pm

Equanimity isn't really something you want to count on for the long-run. It doesn't do anything at all for the higher level forms.
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

Postby jezer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:41 am

Druid is a real odd-ball class... in the fact, it lightly supports others classes... but no other class really supports it in comparison. (Other classes abilities are not accessible while shifted... only before hand.) I recommend prime druid with cleric, mage and necro. The order of the lesser classes is fairly unimportant if you shift for everything. But I'd choose...

Mage second, if you plan to group, or get xp unshifted by blasting
Cleric second, if you plan to heal more in groups or heal self after shifting
Necro second, if you plan to attack large mobs that area, or group with pets unshifted.

Druid is a little bit of everything really, as it plays like a warrior, some forms have some thief skills, some mage orientated skills, some cleric orientated skills. It's prime spell is more like a monk skill in how it reduces damage. It's a great choice for people who prefer to play alone... but I wouldn't recommend prime druid as your first character in sloth, as druid is amongst the 'slowest starters.'

Probably the best personal attribute a prime druid player should have is persistence.
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Return to Druid