Design upgrade

General web site updates.

Do you like a "dashboard" view?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:35 pm

Yes - just give me what you got.
40%
No - I'll find what I want, thanks.
7%
Yes - let me choose want I want or bust.
7%
No - I have a much better idea (please post it)
No votes
I don't care - just do anything but what we have now
No votes
Leave it the way it is
47%

Total votes : 15

Postby blackmore » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:42 pm

[quote="Grue":1dgwooe6]Maybe it is hidden somewhere, but I would like to see the dressing room come back, preferably somehow built off the current EQ list.
[/quote:1dgwooe6]

The old dressing room had to have equipment added manually, from what I was told. In order for it to be practical to have a dressing room, the eqlist database would need to be rebuilt to be able to classify effects that the dressing room can read. Currently most of that's just in freeform text.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Grue » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:44 pm

"The stupid plus/minus signs on the left side panel. They don't work. They also serve no useful purpose. "

Two sets of these, one above the window (eg the - next to SlothMUD III), and the one next to equipment, royal library etc. I assume you mean the one next to Connect to SlothMUD and SlothMUD III? Anyway both work for me and always have and I have just tested them again, so it is a browser issue of some kind.

Having said that the ones next Live Info, Royal Library etc I use a lot and are pretty quick, and I do find those useful.

The other other ones are are as slow as a dog and require a complete screen refresh, and those are a pain and just need to be disabled.

Music-wise I was think of Puff the Magic Dragon.

Grue
Grue
40 Prime Poster

Postby Grue » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:49 pm

"The old dressing room had to have equipment added manually, from what I was told. In order for it to be practical to have a dressing room, the eqlist database would need to be rebuilt to be able to classify effects that the dressing room can read. Currently most of that's just in freeform text."

Each item has two effects and possibly a proc or MUDL. It could be rewritten with 2 fields and a comment field, and provided the 2 fields follow a structure it would be doable. I'll even volunteer to take the XML file, dumpit in excel, split the data into the relevant fields, publish the standard, and get it back in a day if it would help. Then someone would ahve to work on the EQlist to use that, and we could rewrite the dressing room. The dressing room logic would have to look in each of the two fields for an effect.

Grue
Grue
40 Prime Poster

Postby blackmore » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:35 pm

[quote="Grue":3aejl7fb]"The stupid plus/minus signs on the left side panel. They don't work. They also serve no useful purpose. "

The other other ones are are as slow as a dog and require a complete screen refresh, and those are a pain and just need to be disabled.
[/quote:3aejl7fb]

These are the ones I'm referring to. I did some more checking, and they sort of work right - though they're still stupid. If you're on a message, and you contract the menu with the SlothMUD III header, you have no way to go home. If you hit the back arrow, because you're navigating through pages in history, that window expands again. If you refresh the page, though, it will work fine.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby blackmore » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:48 pm

[quote="Grue":1ga3c5z5]"The old dressing room had to have equipment added manually, from what I was told. In order for it to be practical to have a dressing room, the eqlist database would need to be rebuilt to be able to classify effects that the dressing room can read. Currently most of that's just in freeform text."

Each item has two effects and possibly a proc or MUDL. It could be rewritten with 2 fields and a comment field, and provided the 2 fields follow a structure it would be doable. I'll even volunteer to take the XML file, dumpit in excel, split the data into the relevant fields, publish the standard, and get it back in a day if it would help. Then someone would ahve to work on the EQlist to use that, and we could rewrite the dressing room. The dressing room logic would have to look in each of the two fields for an effect.

Grue[/quote:1ga3c5z5]

It's all data, sure it's doable. It involves rewriting the eqlist input and output as well as converting the existing data, and creating a dressing room, but it's doable. There's all sorts of things that would be sweet to do with a dressing room, but it's all got to be written.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Clink » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:00 pm

[quote="blackmore":2104n793]
...The stupid plus/minus signs on the left side panel. ....
[/quote:2104n793]

I removed these, but now you'll be stuck seeing the scroll bar along the top since it's a global setting.

Also I changed the settings so you shouldn't be logged out at all. If you still have problems it's your browser.
Clink
Greater God

Website Design

Postby Avatar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:21 am

[quote:2htqyynr]Blackmore: The old dressing room had to have equipment added manually, from what I was told. In order for it to be practical to have a dressing room, the eqlist database would need to be rebuilt to be able to classify effects that the dressing room can read. Currently most of that's just in freeform text.[/quote:2htqyynr]

I think that a list of standard effect strings would be worthwhile even if we don't recode the eqlist itself to support the different effects. It's currently a little difficult to find a list of options that you might be looking for. What I mean, it's hard to find a list of sleeves with MR because the entry for the item freetext effect field may say [+2 MR] or [+2 Mana Regen] or any other variation that might mean mana regen. I've had similar problems with healbonus vs. heal bonus vs. +heals vs. whatever else.

For other general feedback, I don't use the forum views at all. The 4 most recent crier posts on the right of the home page are my most used feature of the website. When those are full of items I don't recognise, I switch to the "view posts since last visit" option of the forums.

charles
Triple 40 Poster

Postby brand » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:44 pm

a drop down menu for continents in for the map room link would save me about 5 seconds every time i use it...

:!: :twisted: brand
brand
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:47 pm

[quote="brand":197cecxo]a drop down menu for continents in for the map room link would save me about 5 seconds every time i use it...

:!: :twisted: brand[/quote:197cecxo]

Actually, I've wished for this option in the eqlist every time there's been an eq group running. Just because I haven't figured out how to get the eqlist for continents that's in the maproom to sort.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Previous

Return to Website Updates