Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Postby Alberich » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:56 pm

how does dex/con/int/etc affect my actual stats?
how do i read the second map in my inventory? (or 3rd, etc)
why did i not see the mob that killed me?
how do i learn skills? ( yes, this is covered in probably 3 different newbie things, but not everyone reads those, sadly)
how do i see what things i have learned? (see above comments)
when can i see my stats? my damage/hit? regen?

many more, but i'm way too tired to post 'em all just now :P
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby blackmore » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:07 pm

How many holy items can I pray for?
What do the restricts in the EQ List mean?
What level range is ... in the EQ List?
Is -saves good or bad?
What does it mean when it says "More practice with my sword arm?" etc
How do I change my stats / how do I use tokens?
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 pm

Does it matter what my hometown is?
How do I get to Bal Harbor from Newbatia?
Where is the boat to Newbatia?
Why can't I see the Dragon?
Where is a good place to go at my level?
How did you die so fast? Why do I have to wait 5 ticks?
Where can I get a short sword? (specifically short sword for thieves)
Do mobs in the school pop equipment?

***How do I get to the Bard/Necro/Druid/Monk guild?***

Why do I have to leave the guild to use practice to see percents?
How can I get a higher percent than what I can read?
Does this MUD have PvP/PK?
etc.

Postby Weasel » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:07 pm

perhaps some guidelines on slothMUD ettiquette such as leaving a mob alone if someone is cycling it, auction ettiquette (don't bid just to jack up the price), basically how to play nice, win friends and influence people hehe.
:D
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Clink » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 pm

So um...feel free to post the answers to the questions as well :roll:

Thanks,

Clink
Clink
Greater God

Postby Shadis » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:41 pm

Why do i keep dying?
Why can't i shout?
Why can't i see a damn thing?
What does "Jake tells you 'Have you voted today'" mean?
What does "You are outta here!" mean?
Why does Agemo always ask me for help killing the Kobold Sage?
Why does Ming keep stealing my coins?
Why does Shadis always tell me to #100 page MWAHAHAHA
Why are thief primes so weak?
Why can't i level faster?
Why does Aaron keep sending me dirty pictures?
If i have to eat, sleep, read spellbooks and regen HP and Mana, why don't i ever have to go to the bathroom?
Why does everyone ask me if i am Russian?
Is Linsey really a female?
Is Airhead really blonde?
*All opinions posted here are entirely mine and thus are worth less then the 1's and 0's they are typed with!*
Shadis
40 Prime Poster

Postby Zam » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:35 pm

ettiquette ... YEAH sure!
Zam
40 Prime Poster

lalala

Postby Sind » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:22 am

id like to see guide about:
how should i pick my classo to be uber soloer,best group support and tourney champion?
something like that :)
Sind
40 Prime Poster

Postby Alberich » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:32 am

yeah, i'd sure like to play a mud with 9 nominal classes with everyone having the same 3 combinations...
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby 12345 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:00 am

I'll assume Clink actually wanted the answers....

Does it matter what my hometown is?
No, as long as you plan to do most your leveling there. If you're new, Newbatia is probably the best choice. You're best option is probably to delete and recreate your character on Newbatia, but you can also fly to Newbatia, find Mayor Virdo (hunt virdo) who wanders around town and type 'apply' for citizenship. You'll have to come back later and type 'check' to actually become a citizen. This also requires ???? gold.

How do I get to Bal Harbor from Newbatia?
There is a creature on each of the three main continents that will fly you back and forth to Newbatia. To get to the dock on Newbatia go south, down, south from the South Gate and buy an 'ether coated ticket' at the vendor. You will need 52 gold. Then go north, down and wait for the dragons to arrive at the dock. The Dragon goes to Bal Harbor, the Phoenix to Aisholm and the Griffon to Settlestone. Type 'enter dragon' to board the dragon to BH. Once on board, wait for the dragon to take off and land on BH. Once there, type 'exit' to leave the boat. On BH, you can go east, east to reach recall.

Where is the boat to Newbatia?
Refer to the above on how to travel on boats. At Bal Harbor, you can go west, west (2w) from the West Gate (recall) to wait for the Dragon to take you to Newbatia. On Aisholm, you can go west, west, south, south, south, east, up, west (2w3seuw) from the Wide Gate (recall) to wait for the Pheonix. On Settlestone you can go west, west, west, west, west, west (6w) from the Well (recall) to wait for the Griffon. You can buy an 'ether coated ticket' at each of these locations from the respective vendors for ??? gold.

Why can't I see the Dragon?
The Dragon flies back and forth. You can type 'schedule' at the dock to see where the boat is and where it is headed. The Dragon spends 2 minutes at each dock and 2 minutes flying each way. So the Dragon will return to the dock every 6 minutes and stay for 2 before taking off.

Where is a good place to go at my level?
Staying near Newbatia town or the Adventurer's Guild killing ferrets, kittens, rats, females and elders, goblin or kobolds is a good place until you are level 8 and have bought or found some equipment. After that, refer to the website in the 'Map Room' to find an area you might do well in.

How did you die so fast? Why do I have to wait 5 ticks?
Typing 'quit!' while dead will kill you instantly. Sloth has a feature called 'resurrection' which allows a dead player to be brought back to life if someone with the resurrection spell can raise you before the time expires. Since no one with the spell can get to Newbatia, the odds of being resurrected are almost none. If possible, you may want someone to recall and/or push you to a safe location to die to prevent mobs from looting your corpse prior to quitting though.

I am a thief, where can I get a short sword?
The weapon shop is north, north, north, east, north (3nen) of the South Gate (recall). You can buy a short sword here for ??? gold.

Do mobs in the school pop equipment?
You can find some equipment in the school and mobs around town, but you will need to collect coins to purchase equipment in the shops in town. You can also pray for a holy item at 1 of the 2 temples on Newbatia if you are in the top 150 of the sacrifice list.

***How do I get to the Bard/Necro/Druid/Monk guild?***
Directions to these guilds can be found at the bottom of the town map that you started the game with. If you have changed towns, you should also change your citizenship and buy a new map at the cartographer. In Newbatia, you can find Mayor Virdo (hunt virdo) who wanders around town to 'apply' and 'check' for citizenship. The cartographer can be found north, north, north, east, south (3nes) of the South Gate (recall).

Why do I have to leave the guild to use practice to see percents?
I have no idea. I wish the imms would change this.

How can I get a higher percent than what I can read?
You can read each book more than once until you have learned the skill. For example, you will find a number of manuals at the warrior guild. 'read 1.manual' as many times as it takes to learn everything you can from it. Then 'read 2.manual' until it is learned, etc through all the manuals. If you leave the guild and type 'practice' you should see that you have 85% in each of these skills. Spells have a maximum of 95%, and some skills may have different maximums. You can not learn above this percentage though.

Does this MUD have PvP/PK?
Only in the arena. This is not a PvP or PK intensive mud. If this is an important feature to you, you should probably look elsewhere.

Postby blackmore » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:09 pm

How long does it take an area to reset?
It can vary wildly, from under 30 minutes to 60 minutes. Most areas reset approximately every 45 minutes. The reset cycle for an area is continuous, so if you kill a mob for the first time, the area could be anywhere within its reset cycle. There are occasional "fast reset" days, where the areas reset 1/3 faster than normal. Some areas are designed so that they will not reset unless everybody leaves the area.

How many times do I have to kill this friggin mob to get my item to pop?
Each item has its own pop rate. The odds of an item popping are determined randomly each time the mob resets. You might get an item after your first kill, then have to kill the mob over 100 times for a second pop.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

BAH!

Postby Avatar » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:00 pm

Time to change the FAQ already!

"Also, a player can now use practice or practise inside the guilds to see what spells or skills they have learned."

Heh, great change though thanks!
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Aria » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:55 pm

1. If there are two identical mobs in the room, how do I look at the second?

look 2.mob

2. Help! I'm poisoned! What do I do?

Get a purple potion at an alchemists, as someone to remove poison, wait it out and hope it doesn't kill you, or possibly die a horrible death. And yes, you can die from it. See help poison.

3. What do I do with drachma?

You can save it and spend it on cool stuff at the Dream Weaver's shop.

4. Where's the Dream Weaver?

East south south east north of West Gate in Bal Harbor. For 15 drachma you can buy a letter, which is the key to enter the back shops in Dream square, where even more stuff is sold.

5. Can I put my drachma in a bank?

No, but there is no need to. It can't be stolen, it doesn't affect inventory, and you won't lose it if you die.

6. What're the numbers in the gwho list?

The numbers stand for character levels. The first is the number of levels 40 the character has. The numbers after the dot represent the next highest class the character has.

ie, 3.25 means the character is 3X40 25...usually 40 40 40 25.
4.25 means the character is an avatar at level 25. 40 40 40 40 25

7. How can I see the class order of an avatar character?
use the last player command, ie last player avatarname

8. Where can I find spellbooks?

Ask Shyla! :D
Aria

Postby Qa » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:15 am

[quote="Aria"]4. Where's the Dream Weaver?

East south south east north of West Gate in Bal Harbor. For 15 drachma you can buy a letter, which is the key to enter the back shops in Dream square, where even more stuff is sold.
[/quote]

Isn't the letter 30 drachma? (Which for the record is way too *&^%ing high!)

-drachma-poor Qa

Edit: Argh, forgot to hit the silly BBcode switch!
Qa
40 Prime Poster

Next

Return to Newbie Questions