Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Postby Aria » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:47 am

Yup, I think you're right Qa...it's just been a long time since I had to buy a letter :)

But I have another FAQ!

How do you calculate the damage of a weapon? What's better 2d5 or 3d4?

The first number is the multiplier for the dice roll, the second is the variable of the die. 3d4 is three rolls of a die with a 1, 2, 3 and 4 on it. The minimum damage is the multiplier times the lowest number on the die, and the maximum is the multiplier times the highest number on the die. Thus, a 3d4 without bonuses has a min of 3 and a max of 12. A 2d5 has a min of 2 and a max of 10.

If there are bonuses, they are applied after the `roll'. The Thunderbolt, for example, (2d6 +2 to hit +3 to damage) has a minimum damage of 5 and a maximum of 15.
Aria

Self CR help at newbie section

Postby Choong » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:18 am

I wrote a simple CR/Self CR instructions at the newbie forum for the influx of newbies who only knows how to gossip for help

http://slothmud.org/index.php?name=PNph ... opic&t=976

if I left out any ideas please do add on to it, thanks.
Choong

Postby 12345 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:23 pm

[b:1f0xeec3]What is chopping?[/b:1f0xeec3]
Chopping is a style of play focusing primarily on melee damage. Chop mobs typically have a large number of hitpoints, but difficulty attacking well armored players. A warrior is normally best, but anyone with a low Armor Class can fight this way. Specifics can be learned:

http://slothmud.org/index.php?name=PNph ... pic&t=1274

[b:1f0xeec3]What is splorking?[/b:1f0xeec3]
Another common style of play focusing primarily on inflicting massive amounts of damage as quickly as possible. Splork mobs are generally capable of inflicting obscene amounts of damage but have very few hit points themselves. The goal is to kill the mob before it has an opportunity to counterattack. This is traditionally done by backstabbing the mob followed by repeated use of high damage spells. If the mob lives, retaliation is often fatal, so missed stabs or lost concentration on spells can frequently lead to death. With the advent of the Monk class, deathgrip and wraithtouch have become popular alternate methods of splorking.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby firebrand » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:03 pm

is it possible to move or copy this thread to the newbie forum where the newbies who need this info will think to look?
firebrand
Triple 40 Poster

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions