The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Questions and info for and by newbies.

The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Postby Thraxas » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:15 pm

Theres been some discussion of Bard skills and how underpowered Bard prime is.

Perhaps a new skill for bard could work like the pied piper of hamelin.

for those not familiar with the story [url:255q86fn]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pied_Piper_of_Hamelin[/url:255q86fn]

The bard sings his song and all level 1-5 (or whatever increasing with bard level) mobs in the vicinity (maybe 5 squares or increasing with level again) flock to the bards location follow him and will automatically assist him in whatever battle he's taking part in.
Not traditional pets in that they dont take orders but only assist in battles. This would leave the bard with potentially 20-30 (perhaps capped at level dependant number) very level self managing pets (if he wandered through say gremlins en route to say murkwood) that could soak up damage while he does whatever he does to kill a mob.

T
Thraxas
Triple 40 Poster

Postby *juggleblood* » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:45 pm

That would be pretty cool, and entertaining. If I ever get around to learning to code I'd like to add some success messages to various bard songs. I think that alone would be a big improvement to the bard class.

It was pretty cool when they added the extra hit messages to let you know that the mob just barely missed you because you had that 1 extra point of AC. There's a number of skills / songs that could use something similar. Imagine something like:

Thraxas's heart stops beating, but Shyla brings her back from the brink of death! (letting the cleric know that her raise bonus was helping)

or

Wu taps his foot in tune with Blackmore's enchanting melody. (letting you know his song had prevented something from occurring)

or

Thraxas rises to her feet dancing to the tune of 'Rina Corrinne'!
etc...

The active coders are kinda tied up in a larger project at the moment tho. You might try bumping your ideas sometime down the road if you don't get much interest in them at the moment.
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Re: The Pied Piper of Hamelin

Postby jezer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

[quote="Thraxas":2xptkdt3]The bard sings his song and all level 1-5 (or whatever increasing with bard level) mobs in the vicinity (maybe 5 squares or increasing with level again) flock to the bards location follow him and will automatically assist him in whatever battle he's taking part in.
T[/quote:2xptkdt3]

Can you imagine Kanae in School of Colemary with 20 zillion ceramic constructs under here power? :shock: :twisted:

[url:2xptkdt3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJiJkV_rCk[/url:2xptkdt3]
"Don’t let me become the man that I say that I despise."
jezer

Postby *Splork* » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Sadly, I shall burst your bubbles again.

We will not be adding followers to any other classes other than necro and cleric classes. We may add a few more useful awaken mobs but that would be it.

I am more than willing to help bards, as you have seen with the additions to them since this version of sloth began, just not in the manner suggested.

Any other ideas, feel free to share,
Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby *juggleblood* » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:57 pm

Yeah i was afraid that might be the case. Would be an interesting novelty song tho if it just actually caused rats and mice in a general area to come to the singer. Not sure what that would be useful for, but would be amusing...
Talk to the clown.
*juggleblood*

Postby Mosaix » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:29 am

Like an army of kobolds!!! :)
Mosaix
Triple 40 Poster

Postby harik » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 am

A non-follower use for it perhaps? Something along the lines of a weak spell-shield for physical combat - the more rounds you play it before combat, the more slim chances of a rat getting in the way of a blow?

<bard> is here, surrounded by a few rats.
<bard> is here, surrounded by quite a few rats.
<bard> is here, surrounded by a squirming mass of rats.

Stopping the song has the rats wander off over time, much like spellshield fades.
harik

Return to Newbie Questions