questions

Questions and info for and by newbies.

questions

Postby belisarius » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:30 pm

a few questions

1.what is quest mode? there is no help on it it happens when i type quest by itself

2 how much do tokens usually go for

3.is there a command in game or an npc that will show me which quests i have already done?

4.what does quest low,med and high mean

5.on some msg board posts i have seen people talk about 80 stats or 65 stats i assume this is counting the stat points but do you count each 10% once you get to 18 str? (so str would be 28 total stats if you get it 18/100)

6.what do these 2 skills do? there is no help file on them they are warrior skills

35 oath of victory
37 oath of protection

7.if i change gods do sacrifice points stay at the same level or do they reset?
also on gods for the gods on valk do they have temples on the other continents or do i have to switch once i get to level 21?

8.as i get higher levels in lets say thief or warrior classes do melee damage naturally get higher or it it straight based on equipment and stats?
so like will a level 20 thief melee harder than a level 15 thief even though they have same stats and equipment?

9.same question as 8 except with caster classes with spell damage and healing

ehh thats enough for now i guess
thanks for your time and any answers sorry if any of these are answered in the help files but if they are i didnt find them
belisarius

Postby Ah_Puch » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 pm

A few answers, hope I don't confuse ya too much..

1)there is not a quest mode..only quest channel..have it toggled for when quests are run....Imm's usually only post on this channel

2)depending on the type of token and how many people are on versus how many actually need them.... anywhere from 125k to 300k normally

3)there is a token you can by from weaver shop that will show completed quests...10 drachma I think.. best to keep notes as there are a sh*tload of quests

4)these usually state how difficult the items were to obtain..usually only a few ingame at best

5)add each stat up...max possible is 100.....probably impossible to actually roll..but you can buy stats at 5x40 level. a str of 18(10) would actually count as 19 when adding total 18(100) counts as 28. I could be wrong about this part.

6)No idea

7)changing gods does reset sac points..but this is not anything significant..from time to time tables are reset and u have to choose/re-choose gods anyways

8)not sure

9)spell damage does go up..and spelldam eq helps drive damage amount higher

10)you didn't ask but I recommend having Judge as a god
Ah_Puch

Postby Karna » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Welcome to Slothmud Belisarius.

Here's my random answers:
1. Quests are run by the gods, u will know it when you see it. There are autoquests in game initiated by certain mobs.

2. Depending on the token and seller, values swing greatly, I would say though 50K for a tri, 100-150k for a hex, single-sided dies and octs are more normally.

3. See AH's answer

4. Much of the quest eq can be bought in the quest shops, values somewhat fit the low, mid and high categories.

5. When i count stat points, I perosnally dont factor in exceptional str, therefore max is 90, I would recommend at least 80 total, but certain stats for certain classo's are more important than others. For you, shoot for 18/xx strength.

6. Don't worry about it for a while. Has to do with high level warriors.

7. Yes they reset. Once you get higher level you won't really care as you won't be using holy eq.

8. Well, first of all you get more attacks at higher levels. Thieves get more out of their stabs, plus double stab ( and triple ) plus poison. Also, at avatar levels u do get more damage.

9. See AH's answer.

10. Krom rocks, and plays the mud frequently as a player. If you had to pick a god, I'd recommend him.
Karna

Postby Rynquald » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm

Oath of Victory gives you some hp when used at the start of a fight, but also prevents you from fleeing/disengaging/recalling, along with effectively making you the tank, best bet is to never use it unless tanking (or solo when you know you're not going to want to flee)

I think Oath of Protection makes your prot slightly better when used in a group, seems pretty safe, if insignificant.
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

oath

Postby Bazilus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:04 am

help oath
OATH VOW "OATHS AND VOWS" SWEAR OATHS VOWS VICTORY PROTECTION
Usage: swear <oath> [target]
Accumulative: no
Duration: it ain't over til it's over
Level: Warrior 35 (oath of victory)
Warrior 37 (oath of protection)
Save: -
Manual: passed down through oral lore

A warrior's honor has value beyond that of jewels and spices. One man
perhaps regards his own honor highly, another treats his as so much dross.
For the honorable warrior, placing his reputation on the line with a
binding oath means that he is absolutely committed to achieving his goal.
The morale effects of such an oath can be inestimable.

Note that a warrior's honor is almost unrelated to conventional notions
of good and evil; a cruel warlord may reliably keep his word, while a
helpful, kindly, charismatic bard might have no measurable honor at all.
(My daughter made the acquaintance of one such. If you see him, I'd like
to have a word with him - I'll make it worth your while.)

Swearing properly is an art and a science. The oath must be worded
impressively to impact your friends and foes, but also must contain the
right formulae to impress the gods with your gravity. The secrets of
such oaths and vows can only be mastered by the world's more puissant

*** Press return ***

fighters.

The easiest oath is the oath of victory; in combat against a worthy foe,
simply type "swear victory" and you shall immediately feel the benefits.
Once thusly committed to the fight, your heart will not fail you!
Beware, though, if through cowardice or ill luck you fail to actually
achieve victory, both gods and men are bound to hear of it, and that
reputation will walk with you for all the days of your lives.

A somewhat more difficult oath is that of protection. You may only
swear this vow to one you are protecting in combat; it will greatly
increase your ability to carry out this duty. (It also improves your
chances of rescuing your ward, should she come into harm's way in spite
of your protection.) The oath of protection lasts as long as you are
protecting the person. While guarding is not as romantic-sounding as
swearing victory, and so this oath will not contribute to the list of
oaths you are known to have kept, it will still be long remembered if
you fail in the task.

I shall perhaps speak of more oaths later.

Best Regards,
Narmer the Paladin
Bazilus
Double 40 Poster

Postby mahkra » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:36 pm

that help file made me tear my hair out.

to use victory type:
swear victory

to use protectioin type
swear protection <protectee>

Do not use either one unless you are the tank for the group as they make you the tank....

as for what they do it has never been terribly clear to me but I belive what people tell.

You can only use victory if the mob you are fighitng isn't damaged much.
mahkra
40 Prime Poster

Postby belisarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:42 am

1. ahh quest mode is actually quest channel ok another question on this then why isnt it just called quest channel that makes no sense to me i guess i got confused because on the wesite they are called channels heres what it says on the features link on the website:

# Dynamic Channels

* Newbie Channel
* Auction Channel
* Gossip Channel
* Player created channels

2.k thanks for the info on prices

3.k thanks for the answer on that i figured out it looks like you can do quests just one time figured something to help remember which you did would be nice question on it tho is the token a one shot item or will the affect stay with you forever so you always remember which ones you did?

4.so the low,med and high quest items i see on the eqlist on the website are all from the quest shops?

5.k thats what i figured on stats just trying to clear it up i had a real good roll 90 if you count str % 84 if you dont count so i guess im set on that

6.thanks to mahkra for answering this im very big on learning about everything i can when i try new muds and unfortunatly there are many holes in the help system on this one if ya dont know what i type skills warrior then click on the links for these two oaths nada happens with alot of other ones too thats why i didnt think about help oath usually you can type in the full skill name in a mud help file and actually get info not guess on what to type in

7.yeah ive already found im annoyed having to go to a temple to get a decent item i would rather just have regular items so go ahead and sell all the items you can to shops so i can actually get some regular since i cant kill any decent equipment mobs and im tired of waiting 3 hours for a blah item to load on mobs i can kill

8.thanks for trying to answer this but i was actually talking about damage per hit not amount of hits or stabs still dont have an answer to this so if anyways knows would be nice ive gained 3 levels in warrior and 5 in thief tho since i posted this question so im gonna assume there is no increase in damage

9.k yeah thats like alot of other muds

10.thanks for your opinions on the gods but yeah since it doesnt seem that important about the items and such ill prolly just grab the first god i run across unless theres temples to blaster on the other continents besides valk then i mise well just keep blaster

new question:

ran across this earlier couldnt figured out what to do i asked about it on newbie but nobody bothered to help

Near the Top of a Large Waterfall
A heavy flow of water pours from above pushing at everything within its
path. Large walls of smooth shiny granite tower high above to a ledge. A
small bird's nest has been constructed in a large crack in the granite wall.
Exits: Up Down

look crack
The nest appears to have been long since abandoned. Behind the jumble
of old twigs you see a stone handle carved from the cliff face.

so ive tried push,pull,grab and use handle what command am i missing for this?

it either asks tells me there is no handle or asks something stupid like
Whose nose do you wish to pull? i assume this means pull is actually a social and not a real game command

so yeah any ideas on this? the zone is mystical fens on valk both hunt and track told me wyrmlings are east in this room and it would be keen to get to them to have a chance to maybe get the spellbook one of them has
though im sure when i get there ill get my ass handed to me by whoever has it

thanks for all who posted and helped
belisarius

Postby Karna » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:42 am

For the area in the mystical fens you describe with the handle:

Pick Door E ( or Knock Spell )
Open Door E

BTW: Most of the mobs in that area are aggro.

Good Luck and if you pop an extra astrology book, please let Xamak know!
Karna

Postby Widow » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 am

I had a tough time with that trigger at the top of the waterfall as well. Running a necro made the difference because I could order my follower/s to pull lever (I think that's the command) but I could never do it myself. I don't know what a tank would do w/out a follower to do it. I saw you have cleric in your class order as well as mage, maybe a supplicant or a familiar could do what my undead pets did for me.

I don't know if it is intentionally set up for followers to do what players cannot, but it seems an awkward set up.
Widow
Double 40 Poster

Postby Karna » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:53 am

You don't need followers. Just pick or knock the door east ( that you can't see ) and open it.
Karna

Postby Lis » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:32 pm

Hmmm learn mud better, use your brains :P

For that room in Mystical fens you missed one more step

exam crack
The nest appears to have been long since abandoned. Behind the jumble
of old twigs you see a stone handle carved from the cliff face.

exam handle
The handle is made of the same granite as the cliff. It looks like
it is designed to be turned.

turn handle
You reach into the crack and give the stone handle a good turn.
A cleverly concealed door in the cliff face slides open!

Gluck
Lis

Postby belisarius » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:40 pm

thanks for the help on this

by the way i DID use my brain and i tried the commands listed under the command list in that list is no command called turn even if i had examined the handle (which i didnt think to do since the other commands all said there is no handle here) i would not have used the turn command since it is not listed as a command for this mud

ie: thats why i asked for help since i am new to this mud but not new to mudding in general i guess i just got used to muds that actually list all commands you can use

again thanks for the info and btw next time for helping a newbie lis a quote like this:

Hmmm learn mud better, use your brains

isnt helpful especially for a game with a low playerbase like this one you would think you would actually want to keep players here not drive them off with snotty answers

the reason i have stayed here at all is because i think the class system is interesting how it works
and i would like to see it at higher levels but the class system is so far the only thing thats really impressed me maybe when i get bigger and can get in some groups and do some runs it will get better
belisarius

Postby Rynquald » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:12 pm

Just for clarification, any line can be set up as a tt, so it's generally worth trying anything you can think of when trying to figure them out. Some of them aren't immediately obvious (as you already discovered) :)
Be quiet or i'll stab you quiet -BM
Rynquald
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Leaf » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:14 pm

Don't worry about Lis, he was also telling the ppl that was giving u hints.

There are a few places that u will need to read very careful.

BTW Don't ask Autolycos for help, he is a mean, bitter old man.
Leaf

Postby Akasha » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:03 am

You're not a target Belisarius.
We appreciate our newbies, we help our newbies. You got an answer, that shows that to be true :)

Don't be offended by the type of response you get, 99% of the time it isnt meant to be personal, its mostly in good jest.

We like to hang out, we like to have fun, we treat each other like family.
Of course every family has its black sheep, as do we at times (not refering to Lis's comment). You have to think out of the box here at times, lord knows (and the players too) the stuff I do isn't covered in the help files. It's trial and error sometimes, esp when you first come across talking objects that you interact with (this is deff not in the help files).

As for family, family will tell you like it is, blunt, straight up, and little frills. But, this same family will go to the ends of the mud, through aggros and chance of death themselves to save another person's sorry carcase out in BFE.

As for the smal player base, we still have over 100 regular players... not to small I don't think in this day and age of MMORPGS that a text game can still draw in a decent crowd.

I also regularly play on some of these "big" muds with 500 players. One thing I've learned is there is a lot of afkers and multiplayers logged in. I've logged into some of these muds for hours, playing and hanging out, and the public channels were dead quiet (500 people, not saying a peep).
We may be small, someone is bound to offend you, but always be assured that when the shit hits the fan, that same a$$hole who offended you will be more than willing to go out of their way to help you when you can't help yourself.

This is not meant to be demeaning to you Belisarius :) just the opposite. Befriend these people, when offended, offend back ;) (in jest of course), and you will find a lovely place to play and hang out. I think Widow and Kynde can attest to this.

I wish you all the luck and prosperity during your stint on this mud. And above all don't take it seriously.

Akasha
I'm not forsaken, but I am the only one.
Akasha
Double 40 Poster

Next

Return to Newbie Questions