Solo Class Order

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Postby blackmore » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:13 pm

The issue with equipment availability is because the 4 basic classes were the only ones available until about a year ago - so there are 7 years worth of items intended for those classes, compared to 1 year and a mass update query for the new classes.

As to what is best for soloing, in reality, there are areas designed for every style, so it's more a matter of finding the area that best suits what your character can do. However, there are certain things that are pretty consistent.

Especially at higher levels, the xp calculator is heavily weighted so that a mob that has low hps but does high damage will be worth more than mobs that have a lot of hps but don't do as much damage. With some, you want to stab them as hard as possible to be most effective, but with others, you want to blast them as hard as possible. To do both of those, you need thief and mage classes. The monk class is designed to not stab (deathgrip) as hard, but the damage is reduced, allowing the fight to continue longer. If you are soloing and hitting mobs, you can pretty much assume that they'll hit you back, and you want to be able to heal yourself or gaining xp will be insanely slow. That means you need cleric in your classo.

My personal opinion, is that to solo effectively, you do need mage and cleric. If you aren't mage prime, you need either thief or monk (because mage primes get images, so can work around stabbing). If you're taking monk, I'd take it high in my classo to get the most of my open hand damage and whatever other skills are classo dependant. Other than those, I'd take whatever class entertains you the most, or has the skills or spells that you think would best help you.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Aitana » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:12 am

Hi Methyx,

your classo looks very good for soloing. Thieves used to be [u:1gv4hbta]the[/u:1gv4hbta] soloing class (there are other options now). Warrior isn't a soloing class: it gives you hp, which are always helpful, but the [u:1gv4hbta]skills[/u:1gv4hbta] used for soloing come from other classes.

Necro is a good soloing class as well, although it's more of a "talking with myself" class; the techniques for using all those undead aren't as straightforward as blast, stab or deathgrip.

Warriors are not that good at dishing damage, really - what they do best is taking it.

My experience with ca/nc and nc/ca is that having the nc first is usually better for soloing.

(I'm talking about all kinds of levels and all kinds of stats, ok, and I said "usually" - so please if you know [u:1gv4hbta]one[/u:1gv4hbta] 5x40 with a classo like ma/ba/dr/wa and helluva stats who is a wonderful soloer, good for you but that's an exception and anyway his firewinds are all grown up).

Cheerios,

Aitana
Aitana

Postby blackmore » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:22 pm

Show me a class at 1x40 that can compete with winds and 4 images. A 1x40 mage can solo in some of the best xp areas offlyme because of this, when other classes can't. Once you're 5x40, most classos are equal (though some more equal than others), and your equipment and skills are much more of an issue than your classo is.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby piglet » Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:24 am

My character that I made specifically for soloing is m/n/c/w. Any comments?
piglet

Return to Newbie Questions