Guide to being a groupie

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Guide to being a groupie

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:10 pm

since someone started a guide to leading, how about a guide to being a groupie?

(1) If gname doesn't state OPEN, best to ask if you can join, it's only polite

(2) Turn off looters, as leaders are usually in charge of looting

(3) Pay attention to instructions from leaders, especially instructions on mobs that require different styles of killing.

(4) cut down the spam, unless you're regenning.
-- spam makes the leaders's screen scroll, and he could miss vital information like ppl getting hit by aggro mobs while running, pthieves, etc.

(5) Inform the leader if u have to be afk, and try not to be afk mid-fight.

(6) NEVER recall midfight, even if u're dying, unless asked to do so by the leader. Most people have triggers to fix prots when their protected one dies, but i doubt anyone has a trigger to fix prots when their protected one recalls (maybe we should start haing one now.) and this could mean a massive CF....i've seen it in my groups before.

(7) Avoid recalling mid-run or in a haste, unless you REALLY REALLY have to go NOW. Try to give leader ample notice, eg. "I have to go after this kill." so the leader can take some time to sort out protects/healo/etc.

(7) Make suggestions, not demands.
--- remember that the leader has last say on areas/xp or eq, etc. most of the time the leader would ask for general concensus, but no leader likes a backseat leader in the group who tells him what he should or should not do (unless the leader is a clueless moron...in that case, join another group.)
example of a suggestion: "Mind if I get the token if it pops?"
example of a demand: "If token pops, all turn off looters please, it's mine"

(8) Try not to antagonize the leader as it can be pretty stressful keeping track of 10 or so ppl in a group, trying to keep them all alive and making sure ppl are ready for battle, etc.

hope this helps...do add more if u think there should be more added
Mustang
40 Prime Poster

Postby blackmore » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:57 pm

[quote:2leo02s6]
(3) Pay attention to instructions from leaders, especially instructions on mobs that require different styles of killing.
[/quote:2leo02s6]

To go along with this, if you don't understand the instruction, speak up. There are places you will be led that require unusual commands to enter. If the leader says "climb stairs", don't slow down the group while you try to prove how good you are if you don't know that the proper trigger is "climb staircase". Nobody will get upset for having to answer questions.[/quote]
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:00 pm

Not a bad idea at all, though perhaps it can get moved to the Newbie board.

Some general info for staying alive as a follower (Most of these are things I need to work on myself :oops:) :

Don't preempt the battle. The leader will always designate someone to lead the battle. It may be a curser, damner, dispeller, gripper or stabber but it will definately be someone who can either hold their own or be rescued in a predictable manner. Do not attack or cast any offensive spells before before this person unless you have a burning desire to die.

Watch your targets. A good leader will assign targets such as 2.stone for safety when more than one mob is in a room (another thing I need to get better at). If everyone else is attacking 2.stone and you're attacking stone... you're putting the group at risk by fighting two mobs at once. Worse, since you're the only one attacking 'stone', you're effectively the tank and will probably die. Accepting targets from the leader and aliases to direct attacks at those targets are the most important things a groupie can have in a client.

Wait for blinds before assisting. Especially if you're small. You're always safest from incidental attacks if the mob can't see you. The tank is being healed while the mob is being blinded, you are not. Spend the time blinding. It's the most generically useful spell any groupie can have.

Know how to turn things on and off. If you have a whiner, make sure it's got an off switch. Know how to type 'autoloot' to switch looting on and off. Autoblasters can be fun, but can get you killed in a group. Some leaders completely hate echoing targets and reporting mob statuses. Whenever possible, know how to easily turn things on and off.

I know there's a lot more... but that's all that's coming to mind atm.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Deju » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:28 pm

Also, I'd like to add:

When joining up with a group, please do not follow up while the group is in the middle of a fight unless the leader tells you to. This is generally considered to be rude since you will be getting xp from a mob that you didnt earn, and could potentially mess up the protection chain.
Deju
Double 40 Poster

Postby Krok » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:07 am

btw, things that annoy me most and I believe the other leaders too:

1. when people fall to the floor to regen when they are not asked to (quite bad when we are in the area with whimpy mobs)

2. when everyone starts redressing like crazy (imho only allowed ppl like tanks, not including the leader, can do this, if you are in a big group... well, when you are hitting mobs in 3-4man groups, then sure - your redressing will help guys killing mobs a lot)

3. reports about every blind/damn/web/bind/ppl dead etc
leaders usually have highlights for it and their eyes open, watching for everything - that's their job actually

4. do not bug the leader about 'oh, where did you go? when are we going to kill my mob etc'
we know what we are doing

5. and one more point - if the group cfs and someone managed to recall ppl out - DO NOT raise your leader first unless you are in a small group where everyone knows what they are doing
cause if your leader is shocked, you can't see who is dead, you can't see who is absent and still dead in the area you were hitting etc etc

6. and don't tell the leader how to lead, unless you are the backseat leader or he/she asks you for the directions and the special tactics about the killing of a mob
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Krok » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:43 pm

hrm, one more little thing, which can help the leader and make you a good follower.. when you join an eq group and if you know the run to your mob, it will be very nice and polite of you to set beacon BEFORE joining. well, if you don't know the area, try to figure it out BEFORE joining as well, because umm we are all friends, but a group won't be very happy doing your cr and skipping repops on their eq mobs.
From Russia with love.
Krok
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Autolycos » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:33 pm

AMEN!!!!!

i hate when people join up and expect me to do all their running for them... leader is busy enuff keeping everything together, and does not have time babysitting and running to everyones mobs for them.. if you cant get to it, and dont want to try, dont bother asking.
Autolycos
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Guinex » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:49 pm

Could you someone run to kobold sage and set a beacon for me? I don't know the way and can't beacon :(
Guinex
Double 40 Poster

Group Terminology

Postby mudder » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:03 am

When I started grouping I found some of the shorthand used confusing, so heres a summary of the common one I've found, this should all be second nature to all regular groupers:

Leader grouptells 'all up'
Everyone wakes and stands

Leader grouptells 'target ???'
this will be the next mob hit, get any autos / triggers / aliases set to hit them

Leader grouptells 'no blinds'
Normally once the tank has engaged the mob, all players should blind until the mob is blinded, then engage.
This means do not cast blindness

Leader grouptells 'acid only'
do not cast blindness only acid blindness

Leader grouptells 'sleep sanc'
sleep / rest if you like until the tanks sanctuary drops (normally grouptelled) then wake and stand

Leader grouptells 'prot down'
This is one I initially misunderstood ... I thought it meant everyone drop your protections, it actually means protect the person below you in the group.

gjob this sets the text to the right of your name in the group, sometimes useful to set to your max hp / mana / ac othertimes set to a mob / eq you're looking for.

Leader grouptells 'portal'
enter the portal you should be standing next to

Leader grouptells 'regen'
sleep / rest to regenerate your hp / mana
But watch for the leader to call 'all up' you will be expected to wake and stand and be ready

Lite
This is shorthand for Sanctuary or Aegis

2.tank
this is the player standing next after the tank who will take over tank if the tank dies

healo:
the players designated to heal the tank(s)
when the first player in healo is out of mana normally they grouptell OUT and the next player in the healo takes over

Leader grouptells 'all in for heals'
all players with mana stop casting any other spells and heal the tank, unless specifically told otherwise

sing
A tank will normally have a script to rescue any player that backstabs a mob, grips a mob, or is engaged by a mob. If for whatever reason this dosen't work the tank will normally resuce any player who types sing.

Leader grouptells 'all recall'
everyone recalls immediately, this is normally if the group is in trouble ... the tank should always recall last, so recall asap to give them a chance of surviving.

staff
for the sum of 50000 gold you can buy a staff that will recall all members of a group including dead or dying members

Leader grouptells 'looters off'
I'm not sure whether autoloot should be on or off if nothing is said, but if the leader says looters off theres no doubt 'autoloot off' is the command you want.

whiner
a tank will normally grouptell thier hps every time they drop or raise by 50 or more, and possibly show whether they have sanctuary ... this is a whiner, anyone else other than the tank whining is annoying and confuses the healo.

ticking
when sanctuary or other spells are about to drop, i.e. 60seconds before the spell ends, the spell is ticking

reporter
many players have triggers that can grouptell the status of a mob when they look at it, and grouptell when a mob is blinded, webbed, demon bound, acid blinded, etc. having more than one player with a reporter on can get spammy so normally left to the leader, note thier reporter may echo locally to them, so just because you can't see their reporter dosen't mean they need yours. In my opinion though one reporter via grouptell is better as groupies can then see when to stop casting blindness etc.

gut
otherwise known as deathblow for the lvl 40 warriors

botter / sponger
a player who joins a group, but takes no active part, i.e. is only there for the xp. In my view one of the worst crimes on sloth. If you join a group you should be available to take part.

I'm sure there's more I've missed out ... feel free to add.
mudder

Postby Korlan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:50 am

Assist is your friend. Know who the tank is and 'assist tank'. Cuts down on problems.

When the leader says dispel, make sure you don't overcast dispel magic and dispel the spelldowns e.g. blinds, weakens, etc...

Do not bash or trip until the mob is blind. If the mob falls down and stands up, it usually switches to the person attacking it.
Korlan

Return to Newbie Questions