Confused on levelling and skills

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Confused on levelling and skills

Postby Rahtgaz » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 am

Hello all,

I'm a new player. Only a level 9 warrior with maybe 6 hours of play. So, I apologize if the next few question may have been brought up over and over again.

1. I hear players saying that they built a warrior/cleric/... etc type of multicharacter. However, when I was creating mine I could only choose one class. I think I understood the concept of stat order. However i have a few questions about it:

a) If I have train points to spend on stats, why would I care so much about the ordering? As a level 9 warrior the only thing I need to max now is INT.

b) That said, why should I care about getting those...err... things that allow me to reroll my stats?

2. I read the help file on mort. I'm confused as to the level I'm needed to start my second class. It says 190. However the experience tables go up to 40 and player classes are usually refered to as 1x40, 2x40,... Does this basically mean that i can move up in tier at level 40, but only multiclass every 190th level?

3. I read in these forums about gaining new skills in books and gems(i think?) found on my guild. I read the help file on gain. However, i don't seem to find any books on the warrior guild. Where are usually these items found?

4. Levelling areas are a bit confusing to me. Maybe because i'm new to the world and have yet to get a grasp on my location in relation to everyone else. I've been levelling on the areas supplied with the guide i was giving when i started to play. I can't find Valkyrie with the areas command. Where is this area?

5. Finally, The who command almost always show between 1 (that's me) and 5 or 6 players. However, the live info on this website shows many more.

a) How can it be one can be hidden from the in-game 'who' command but not be from the live info on the website.

b) How come I never show up listed in the life info?

There are of course many more questions... but slowly I'm gaining this knowledge. These are the things that for the moment really confuse me.
Rahtgaz

Re: Confused on levelling and skills

Postby Alberich » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:07 am

[quote="Rahtgaz":ayositis]
a) If I have train points to spend on stats, why would I care so much about the ordering? As a level 9 warrior the only thing I need to max now is INT.[/quote:ayositis]
you dn't have train points to spend on stats... not quite sure where you got that idea. Warriors need primarily str for damage and dex for AC - int just affects max mana which is nice but not neccessary

[quote="Rahtgaz":ayositis]b) That said, why should I care about getting those...err... things that allow me to reroll my stats?[/quote:ayositis]
see above - but the only way to improve stats is by rolling new ones until you get better, basically

[qutoe="Rahtgaz"]2. I read the help file on mort. I'm confused as to the level I'm needed to start my second class. It says 190. However the experience tables go up to 40 and player classes are usually refered to as 1x40, 2x40,... Does this basically mean that i can move up in tier at level 40, but only multiclass every 190th level?[/quote]
You can level your classes in whatever order you like.

[quote="Rahtgaz":ayositis]3. I read in these forums about gaining new skills in books and gems(i think?) found on my guild. I read the help file on gain. However, i don't seem to find any books on the warrior guild. Where are usually these items found?[/quote:ayositis]

look around :) they are sometimes on a different floor depending on levels, in like valk guilds.

[quote="Rahtgaz":ayositis]4. Levelling areas are a bit confusing to me. Maybe because i'm new to the world and have yet to get a grasp on my location in relation to everyone else. I've been levelling on the areas supplied with the guide i was giving when i started to play. I can't find Valkyrie with the areas command. Where is this area?[/quote:ayositis]

Valkyrie is a continent, not an area - it contains areas :)

[quote="Rahtgaz":ayositis]5. Finally, The who command almost always show between 1 (that's me) and 5 or 6 players. However, the live info on this website shows many more.[/quote:ayositis]

no clue on this one, sorry
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Re: Confused on levelling and skills

Postby Rahtgaz » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:44 am

[quote="Alberich":2juau9fc]
you don't have train points to spend on stats... not quite sure where you got that idea. Warriors need primarily str for damage and dex for AC - int just affects max mana which is nice but not neccessary
[/quote:2juau9fc]

I have indeed been spending train points on stats.
As a Demon warrior, without any equipment on, at level 13 my stats read:
Str: 24(24) Int: 18(18) Wis: 18(18) Dex: 19(19) Con: 21(21)

Everytime i gain a level I have been awarded practice points and train points. The former are being used for skill improvement. The later I have been using to upgrade my stats to those numbers you see. Only Int seems to be short since I can still see that option when I issue the train command without any arguments.
Rahtgaz

Postby Alberich » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:46 am

I'm not sure what game that is, but it ain't sloth..
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Rahtgaz » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:54 am

This is ridiculous...

There seems to have been an error on the mud database file that ships with ZMud.

I have been playing Ancient Mists for the past 2 days without realizing it :shock:
For crying out loud!

Deleting that mud. slothmud.org was what I wanted to play.

Sorry about the confusion.
Rahtgaz

Postby Weasel » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:49 pm

hehe
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby Taki » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:35 pm

well, sorry man, don't mean any offense, but...

this is the most amusing series of posts i've read in a long time!

Hope to see you soon on Sloth! :D
Patience and powerful strikes!
Taki
40 Prime Poster

Return to Newbie Questions