Questions on Kick and Class Order

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Questions on Kick and Class Order

Postby SirRobin » Wed May 04, 2005 10:45 am

Some beginning newbie questions:

1) Do you want to use kick or a second manual attack all the time in combat? I assumed from what I read that if you kicked or cast a spell that it would take the place of your automatic attack with your weapon (or fist), but from what I’ve seen it looks like they are treated as two separate channels. In other words, does your automatic attack happen at the same pace whether you kick (or cast) or not?

2) It looks like your Primary and Secondary classes are the most important, and the other two are only useful for what skills or spells they contain. Do the Third and Fourth classes have any other impact than that, such as when you level a mage in third position you would gain less hit points than if you had a warrior in third position?

Thanks.
SirRobin
40 Prime Poster

Postby Calim » Wed May 04, 2005 11:50 am

1) Your observations are correct. Kick, bash, offensive and healing spells can be cast in the time between 'combat rounds' My personal observation has been that you can only kick (or any other skill) once between rounds. Healing and Offensive spells seem to be an alternating 1 cast, 2 casts between rounds. Which with the right attack or healing spells can be very important :).

2) Take the answer to this with a bigger grain of salt...Yes, the first 2 classes you choose have the largest impact on your char. The 3rd and 4th class choices round out your char with spells and skills, hps, mana, regen etc... Also, depending on your first 2 class choices and how you want to play that character, you may need a certain 3rd or 4th class in order to be able to wear various equipment due to restricts.
Calim

Postby blackmore » Wed May 04, 2005 12:11 pm

1) Some skills are "innate", which means they aren't under your control - if you have it, it's used. 2x attack is one of those. kicking, spells, etc have no bearing on 2x attack.

2) Yes, hps and mana for 3rd and 4th classes are different for different classes. With most characters, though, it's more critical to pick 3rd and 4th classes that contain the skills or spells that you least want to live without. That's usually a greater deciding factor than the hps or mana.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby Leaf » Wed May 04, 2005 2:09 pm

Well Blackie not sure about ur #2...

Alot of ppl do pick a ca or nc on the 3rd and 4th because of mana and hp.
A PURE Tank would mostly pick War/Mo/Cl/Thi. Only because Cl 3rd gives
them a little bit more mana then 4th. That and sanc 4th SUCKS! :)
Leaf

Postby blackmore » Wed May 04, 2005 2:51 pm

If you're creating a character based on maximizing hps or mana, you're probably a veteran player who is trying to create a certain style of character, knowing they will be missing some critical skills, but they also know how to compensate - or know they have friends who will help them compensate.

I said most of the time for a reason - this is the newbie forum after all.
blackmore
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 12345 » Wed May 04, 2005 3:32 pm

I'll just toss in another observation. 3rd and 4th classes give very few hps. 4th in particular only gives 1 point every few levels for a warrior even. Mana is a completely different story... You obviously won't have the mana totals of a 4x caster or ca/ca, but you get a lot more than 1 mana every few levels in quad class if you put a casting class there.

There are several considerations, but as a newbie I would strongly suggest having Cleric in the 2nd or 3rd position regardless of your starting class. Mostly because the armor and stone skin spells are invaluable, especially if you don't have the cash to pick up high end armors. Also, having Cleric quad means you'll be waiting a long time before you can get a peri supplicant, which can do a lot to keep you alive, and you won't be able to get the eudaemon until high avatar levels. There's also sanctuary, create food, create water and other spells which are basically invaluable to a newbie.

Good luck :D
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Gnu » Wed May 04, 2005 3:35 pm

[quote="Leaf":1m0kfcmi]Well Blackie not sure about ur #2...

Alot of ppl do pick a ca or nc on the 3rd and 4th because of mana and hp.
A PURE Tank would mostly pick War/Mo/Cl/Thi. Only because Cl 3rd gives
them a little bit more mana then 4th. That and sanc 4th SUCKS! :)[/quote:1m0kfcmi]

#1 BM was talking about veteran players. and veteran players know how much good skills/spells mean. In fact great mana means nothing if you have low manaregen, lots of hitpoints mean nothing if you have now good AC.

#2 PURE tank will pick War Mo Cl Ne, and 3rd Cl because of supplication and possibility to use DAEMON.
Gnu
40 Prime Poster

Postby SirRobin » Wed May 04, 2005 6:20 pm

Thanks for all the feedback, I learned quite a bit. I spent about 12 hours with my first character here then decided to start another when I realized that the order of the first two classes would make a huge difference in early play. The first character was Dr/Mo/Ma/Th, and the new one is Mo/Dr/Ne/Ma. Needless to say, the new one is much easier to play starting out.
SirRobin
40 Prime Poster

classo's

Postby Avatar » Wed May 04, 2005 6:53 pm

Druid makes a good second class too. Try to sleep outdoors when you need to regen mana, and welcome :)
Triple 40 Poster

Postby 13 » Thu May 05, 2005 9:54 am

I wouldn't try a character without cleric in classo as my first shot at sloth bro.
Healing and sanc are too important to pass up imho.
The perfect blend of poetry and meanness..
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby 12345 » Thu May 05, 2005 10:04 am

I was surprised myself, but with Druid and Necro he can get some minor healing and wall of flesh. Harder to play... but it's not uncommon among some of the more experienced chars. At least it was before supplication.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Return to Newbie Questions