Getting started?

Questions and info for and by newbies.

Getting started?

Postby Riddle » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:20 am

Generally, I've gotten a good impression of this mud. There's been a lot of help offered and a lot of questions answered, thanks for helping out.

But there's also some less helpful comments/actions I've heard.

1) I died, had 1 hp left, was hungry and no gold to buy rations. As I just started, my eq wasn't great and after a failed attempt to get it back, I decided to just leave it. This means regenning gets a bit tricky and so I asked was what I had to do. The advice "Create a new char" isn't helpful. I spent hours getting the few levels I have and I don't feel like starting over and it would be even worse if I was in this situation at higher levels. Now, the one useful advice I did get was that the cleric outside the inn would eventually give me food, so that's great, I can use that advice.

2) So I went to the cleric, sat down, rested and waited. Not many seconds after I sat down to rest, a player comes in and attacks the cleric and kills him. This kind of annoyed me, especially after the conversation that had just been going on at the gossip channel. Apparently it was more important for him to get this one mob killed instead of waiting for me to get a bit of food, so I could get on with the game.

I've decided to stick around though, since in general I think it's a nice community on the mud.
Riddle

Postby *Splork* » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:07 pm

The part about the cleric actually cracks me up because I sit and watch it happen every day and wonder if they ever realise that the cleric is awfully helpful to players. Heck it gives them food and heals them yet people insist on walking past and killing it for the coins:-)

It may be time for the town guards to start protecting its citizens :shock:

Anyways, hope ya stick it out-the first few levels are the worst.

Enjoy,
Splork
*Splork*
Site Admin

Postby Popa » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm glad you like our mud. Honestly you'll have a great time. I am kind of amazed no one offered to get your corpse for you.. Somtimes the higher up chars will make a newbie char. the comment on starting another char. It could have been someone just thinking you were a higher up. I'm not defending the person that said it.. just pointing out a possible reason why someone would say that to a newbie.. Also there are alot of comedians on the mud. some of them are funny.. otheres are not. I'm sorry to hear that you werent helped, in the future please send me a tell the next time and i'll see if i can rounfd you up some help
Popa
Don't wipe before you poop, and dont poop before you look.
Popa
40 Prime Poster

Postby Yasik » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:45 am

[quote="*Splork*":1x4ieg3p]The part about the cleric actually cracks me up because I sit and watch it happen every day and wonder if they ever realise that the cleric is awfully helpful to players. Heck it gives them food and heals them yet people insist on walking past and killing it for the coins:-)

It may be time for the town guards to start protecting its citizens :shock:

Anyways, hope ya stick it out-the first few levels are the worst.

Enjoy,
Splork[/quote:1x4ieg3p]

Good idea is put back 50 coins on ferrets in Newbatia town, so newbs can kill them and have cash to buy things.
Yasik

Postby 12345 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:20 am

I'm not the person who suggested it, but making a new character is actually a great idea. A newbie can walk almost anywhere on Valk without much fear of being attacked and it's not hated if they are. You can create a newbie to get your corpse, use the recall scrolls you're created with to get back to town, and find a safe place to drop your corpse. Log your main character back in, take the stuff from the corpse. Next time you die, delete the retrieve character and recreate.
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Aleksey » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:49 am

Whan in area type where if you see some players in area ask tham get your corpse. In town nowday tons of people.
Females loads apples, here is your food, if not loaded carve here corpse , get slice eat slice (same food) , if she huge for you, kill cat
Depozit all cash in bank, during kill run you dont need it, bank dont give % but at list cash at safe place and any time you can take it. Never heard about bank crizis yet in sloth.
Explore area befor cr, study mobs, some of tham dont see invisible, some of tham dont hit at first round(valk feature), some agro, some not,some looting ,some not,find all that at the beggining
Find all famable mobs in area befor killing in area . Familiar spell not offencive one so can apply it on any unknown mob and see effect without being hated
Why people killing cleric? no idea ,basicaly it high level dorks who scared to explore valk and die and found elder mans not enough for tham already
Have pitty on tham , nothing you can change
Aleksey
40 Prime Poster

Postby Weasel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:49 am

We're allowed to CR our own corpse with another char?
Weasel
Hall of Fame Avatar Poster

Postby 12345 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:55 am

[quote="Weasel":ebgip8v8]We're allowed to CR our own corpse with another char?[/quote:ebgip8v8]

Of course, check the rules:
[quote="Sloth Rules":ebgip8v8]You MAY use one character to collect the corpse of another of your characters, as long as only one character is on at any time.[/quote:ebgip8v8]

You can check the link yourself if you like:
http://slothmud.org/index.php?name=PagEd&page_id=62
Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid -KMFDM

Postby Weasel » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:43 pm

No worries I believe you :) For some reason I thought that was frowned upon. Good to know, thanks.
Weasel

Postby Autolycos » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:51 pm

could be a major case of paranoia, cause i was under the same belief that it was not a good idea. :shock:
Autolycos

Postby Leaf » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:57 pm

I multi play all the time. I mean I get my crap with other chars all the time.
Leaf

Postby Alberich » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:00 pm

same, and I always have.. a big part of the reason I have 2 chars, and keep them at similar levels, is for that very thing. I'd hate to be whining on gossip looking for help killing solo mobs all the time :)
Don't be stupid - we have politicians for that

Alberich

Postby Autolycos » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:33 pm

*laff AL.. you dont whine on gossip.. you whine on ICQ!!! :twisted:
Autolycos

Postby impz » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:41 am

BTW, if any help is needed for newbies, you should look to your friendly slothie (Autolycos) for help. He will supply everything you need!

Muahaha.
what is life if full of care, if we have no time to stop and stare?
impz
40 Prime Poster

Postby Leaf » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:50 am

[quote="impz":25z6md2z]BTW, if any help is needed for newbies, you should look to your friendly slothie (Autolycos) for help. He will supply everything you need!

Muahaha.[/quote:25z6md2z]

R u crazy Impz??? Telling newbies to ask Autolycos for advice is like telling
them to just quit!!! I mean how long did it take Auto to get 4x40? Like 8yrs?
And we all know he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. But the BIGGEST
TOOL u will ever meet!
Leaf

Next

Return to Newbie Questions